CA GOP Senate candidate Tom Campbell – pro-marriage equality, opposes Prop 8 court challenge

by Karen Ocamb on March 1, 2010

Tom CampbellCalifornia Republican Tom Campbell, a candidate for the U.S. Senate, appeared on the KNBC TV public affairs show “News Conference” Sunday and was forthright about his support for marriage equality and abortion rights. However, describing himself as a social “moderate,” not a social “liberal,” Campbell also said he opposes the courts’ involvement in deciding the fate of Prop 8, the voter-passed initiative that stripped away marriage rights for same sex couples.

Campbell, a longtime friend of the Log Cabin Republicans,wrote an Oct. 28, 2008 opinion piece against Prop 8 for Reason magazine calling for an end to marriage discrimination in the state. But in this interview, he says he doesn’t believe marriage rights for same sex couples are found in the US Constitution:

“I believe the people of California should be allowed to decide this decision – make this decision. I believe people should be allowed to be married –whether they’re gay or straight but I do not believe that the courts should find this somehow when the Constitution is obviously silent on it.”

Campbell was running against gazillionaire Meg Whitman for the GOP nomination in the California gubernatorial race but dropped out to run for U.S. Senate against fellow GOP candidate Carly Fiorina – most famous now for the horrendous devil—in-sheep’s-clothing ad – who does not support marriage equality. The New York Times has more on the GOP race.

Not shown in this portion of the KNBC interview is Campbell’s take on the economy. He holds a Ph.d in economics from the University of Chicago and his faculty advisor was Milton Friedman. If Campbell wins the Republican nomination, he will face incumbent Sen. Barbara Boxer – and marriage equality could be rendered a non-issue in favor of fixing the economy. Please check out Campbell’s website to read about this positions.

Meanwhile, Boxer is the featured speaker at the Sunday, March 13 Human Rights Campaign gala in Los Angeles honoring actress Portia de Rossi and comedian Kathy Griffin.

View more news videos at: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/video.

Lucrece March 1, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Basically, an empty gesture.

Prop 8 is settled law and a statement of support for marriage equality doesn’t cost him much considering he can’t do anything about it, while supporting court challenges to prop 8– the only effective way of dismantling the law outside of a popular vote, which is years upon years off before it might fall in our favor– would cost him.

He’s trying to have his cake and eat it, too.

Terry Hamilton March 2, 2010 at 5:42 AM

It is not an empty gesture at all. Tom Campbell is a man that the LGBT community can trust. The Republican Party is at a crossroads. It has a choice. Will it stand for limited goverment in all areas, including personal liberty for ALL Americans? Tom Campbell does. Visit http://www.LogCabin.org to see our vision for the party.

Lucrece March 2, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Really? Tell me what impact he will have in bringing marriage equality to the state?

Certainly, Schwarzenegger, who has even more popular appeal, and who advocated for Prop 8′s defeat in the campaign, ultimately didn’t turn any tides.

People don’t listen to their governors or political leaders; they expect the leaders to listen to THEM.

Nothing short of court challenges will strike down Prop 8 in the near future, and this guy is opposed to it.

But excuse me if I don’t take anything you say seriously when your organization happily endorsed the very man who’s now stonewalling DADT repeal for president.

BobN March 2, 2010 at 1:35 PM

“Tom Campbell is a man that the LGBT community can trust.”

BobN March 2, 2010 at 1:36 PM

“Certainly, Schwarzenegger, who has even more popular appeal, and who advocated for Prop 8’s defeat in the campaign”

Arnold didn’t say a damn word during the Prop 8 fight. He promised he would and, surprise, broke his promise.

rafi March 2, 2010 at 2:09 PM

“If he thinks civil rights can be put to a public vote, I don’t see how ANY Californian can trust him…”

Perfect response.

Ben in Oakland March 2, 2010 at 2:09 PM

I have always liked tom Campbell, and thought that he was one of the few republicans that I could ever vote for, if I were ever going to vote for a Republican.

Fortunately, with this statement of his, I still won’t have to vote for one.

As long as he believes that my civil rights as a gay man, and my participation in society as a tax paying, law abiding, contributing member of it, can be determined by people who do not know me or anything about me, on the basis of their religious beliefs which I do not share…

then i am afraid that Mr. campbell will never represent me if I have anything to say about it.

My equality before the law is not up for a popularity contest as far as I am concerned.

Timothy Kincaid March 2, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Sadly, it seems that the argument here is, “not only must you support my equality, not only must you argue for me, not only must you champion me, but you must also agree with my uneducated understanding of the Constitution.”

I wonder if any of you who are so incensed today used this same standard for your Presidential vote. Because, if so, then you voted against President Obama who not only did far less than Tom Campbell to oppose Prop 8, but actually opposes marriage equality. Oh, and if you missed the memo, Obama also does not think that the US Constitution guarantees marriage equality.

Timothy Kincaid March 2, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Oh, and for what it’s worth, I do disagree with Tom Campbell and think that marriage equality is included in the Constitution. I just get annoyed when Democrats hold Republicans to a higher standard than the members of their own party.

Timothy Kincaid March 2, 2010 at 4:50 PM

(sorry, Ben) :)

Lucrece March 2, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Eh, I didn’t vote for Obama. I have no party affiliation.

I don’t know why the assumption is being made that all of this man’s critics are Democrats. Some people actually prioritize the interests of the community over a political party.

Ken March 2, 2010 at 10:32 PM

So by Tom Campbell’s way of thinking, the Supreme Court was incorrect when it overturned laws banning interracial marriages because it went against the will of the people? Perhaps he should read the part of the Constitution that refers to equal protection. I was thinking about voting for him, but not any more.

Ken March 2, 2010 at 11:08 PM

“Come to think of it, if agreeing that Prop 8 is unconstitutional is your litmus test, you won’t be voting for Barbara Boxer either.”

I love for someone to post the quote from Barbara Boxer that supports this statement, if one even exists. If this turns out to be true, I won’t vote for her either.

Scott Schmidt March 3, 2010 at 9:53 AM

BobN… With respect to Arnold’s involvement, you need to remember how the No on 8 Campaign was being run (or not).

Their testing told them that politicians were ineffective messengers for the campaign and decided not to use ANY politicians.

Only after Patrick Guerriero took over in October did this position change, and only LATE in the campaign did No on 8 even ask Arnold to do anything… and that is when you saw the ad with him and Dianne Feinstein in the last week.

Alternatively, as Campaign Manager for Republicans Against 8, I was using Arnold’s image and statements in a number of online ads which we ran in targeted GOP districts. But unless you read Townhall, Drudge or National Review and live in Ventura County or Northern San Diego County you may not have seen them!

P.S. It was Tom Campbell who approached No on 8 about doing something for them–not the other way around.