Wanda Sykes on Obama and NAACP Support for Same Sex Marriage-Video

Wanda Sykes on Obama and NAACP Support for Same Sex Marriage-Video

by Karen Ocamb on May 20, 2012

Wanda Sykes at the LA Gay & Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 19, 2012 (Photo screen capture)

On the red carpet at the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center’s “An Evening with Women” Saturday night, May 19,  actress/comedienne Wanda Sykes – a lesbian who is married with children – talked with Renee Sotile & Mary Jo Godges of Traipsing Thru Films about President Obama’s declaration that he supports same sex marriage and the surprise vote by the board of the NAACP to unequivocally support marriage equality:

[On Obama] I am thrilled.  I’m so proud of him. I knew he would get there. But I believe it’s earnest and I’m just so proud because I flash back to this time four years ago and watching the vice presidential and presidential debates and when the topic of same sex marriage comes up, it was almost like they laughed. It was like a mockery of same sex marriage. And that hurt. I mean, you’re sitting their watching and you’re like ‘Ow.’ But you know what, I still voted for him because it was what I thought was best for the country and I just hope people who are – have a problem with him coming out for same sex marriage that they will still go with their instinct of what’s good for the country.

[On the NAACP] Yea! I’m so proud of the NAACP! I mean – this is huge! Really is huge because the NAACP – their roots are so instilled in the church. That’s where their meetings and all of that – are held – in churches. So to come out and support same sex marriage – I’m so  thrilled that they have gotten past the point that it’s not about religion, it’s about rights.  Marriage reallyt doesn’t have anything to do with religion. That’s why athetists get married. It’s about all the rights that comes along with it. So I’m very proud of the NAACP right now and I think I’m going to join! Maybe I’ll up my membership now.

{ 1 trackback }

Women’s Event Raises $448,000 for LA Gay & Lesbian Center-Videos
May 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Frank Lostaunau May 20, 2012 at 12:05 PM

It means a lot to have President Obama and the NAACP to say YES to equality. In my opinion, President Obama has not gone far enough. I’ll be 70 in July. I still don’t believe that it will be possible before I die. It’s like saying, Lets You And Them Fight. How much more violence directed to the LGBT community before we can actually marry?

Jerry May 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Wasn’t life more fun when everyone was against everything. What used to be cool and secretive, could now risk becoming boring.

Tomato May 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM

The secret society part of it was fun. The whole special coded vocabulary was fun. The bashers were not fun. The attitudes of police and other parts of the establishment were not, nor was it really great that insurance companies could cancel your coverage without any notice if they found out that you were gay. Landlords throwing you out of your home when they found out was not fun, nor was standard almost universal public harrassment and the spectre of refusal of service. Oh, and smokey bars, that was not fun.

Jerry May 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Comments are edited. There is no freedom.

Jerry May 20, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Gay people were living in Manhattan and Palm Springs. The “oppressed minority” bull was created by them to validate “equality” and get marriage benefits. Before marriage was not viewed as a “right.” It’s been an emotional set up. Oh that long glory road down Santa Monica Boulevard – after renovation. On to Rodeo, to ease our suffering. With just the wardrobe (clothes) on my back. If you were employed how oppressed were you? You could still go out on a weekend night, or any night, and meet someone if you wanted to. Now you can meet someone, marry, they’ll never leave. If you marry you’ll be stuck with them for life. Sounds wonderful doesn’t it? And you’ll be much easier for the government to keep track of.

Katie May 21, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Wow, that is such an ignorant comment, all gay people are “Rodeo Drive” or “Palm Springs?” Really? Maybe you should listen in on some of the hotlines sometimes when parents throw their gay teenagers out of the house and they are trying to stay alive penniless and homeless. There are gay people and straight people across the entire socio-economic spectrum; the difference is, nobody is ever shunned, punished, fired, or beat up simply for being straight. I have seen gay people marry who have been together for 40, 50 years. Let them have the same rights, responsibilities and risks as the rest of us.

Jerry May 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Your 40-50 year couples are not married under federal law. And why marry after all that time anyway? The Rodeo drive was an analogy for gays trying to pass themselves as “an oppressed minority” like blacks when they are more than financially stable. How “oppressed” was your gay life before all this attention to it brought out the hate? More are being thrown out of their houses. When I came out in the 70′s that was rare. Gayness has suffered from it’s own overexposure. Kids are led to believe that being gay is a “Glee” episode. Being gay is a sexuality, not an ethic minority.

Blake King May 21, 2012 at 5:40 AM

In the translation of the Holy Bible from the original Ancient Eastern Text–the Aramaic of the Peshita, which is what Christ spoke–and famously translated by George M. Lamsa, who is bi-lingual at least, This is what Jesus ACTUALLY SAID. Matthew 5:22:
“But I say to you that whoever becomes angry with this brother for no reason is guilty before the court; and whoever should say to his brother Raca (which means I spit on you) is guilty before the congregation; and whoever says to his brother YOU ARE EFFEMINATE is condemned to hell-fire.” The associated footnote is [Aramaic: brutish, abnormal]– the gay colloquial slur in Aramaic, to this very day.
This is a famous Biblical translation, because Christ taught in Aramaic, and this man knows Aramaic.
The worst to me is that the Church scholars actually know this. All or most of them have to. So if this should end the Scriptural debate, and cast Gay Marriage and other rights as what they truly are–Civil Rights at their core.