Boy Scouts Send Out Slanted Survey Asking if Antigay Ban Should be Lifted

Boy Scouts Send Out Slanted Survey Asking if Antigay Ban Should be Lifted

by Karen Ocamb on March 12, 2013

The Dallas Voice published a survey Monday that the beleaguered Boy Scouts of America sent out Sunday to ostensibly seek opinions about whether the religious-based, officially anti-gay organization should lift their antiquated ban on gay Scouts and troop leaders;

“The Boy Scouts of America is in the process of a careful and deliberate review of our membership policy, as it relates to the national membership restriction regarding sexual orientation,” the BSA wrote in an email announcing the survey. “We are dedicated to the integrity of this process. In an effort to listen to our members’ perspectives and concerns, we ask you to answer some questions about this topic and about your overall Scouting experiences.”

The gay newspaper reports that BSA’s national council is expected to vote during its annual meeting in Grapevine in May. But to some cynics, it appears that the questions themselves suggest the desired response:

{ 1 trackback }

EQCA-Lara Bill Would End CA Tax Loophole for Anti-Gay Youth Groups Like the Boy Scouts
March 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Bose in St. Peter MN March 13, 2013 at 3:20 PM

The BSA polling its members sounded like a potentially reasonable thing to do, but the actual poll flips it to infuriating and disgusting. No matter what the results, they will be easy to twist and manipulate to support ugly discriminatory policies.

It’s particularly heinous that it asks whether a 15-y/o kid should be treated like a sex offender and an immediate threat to his fellow scouts if he’s not straight.

As a web developer, I wish I had more detail on who the BSA hired to run the online survey and how rigorous and secure the process is. Does the BSA really have a secure, timely, well-maintained list of 1.1 million email addresses of current scout parents, or is it bloated with parents of now-adult scouts, staffers at chartering orgs, and donors? Do parents of multiple scouts get multiple votes? How is the submission process secured?

Karen Ocamb March 13, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Really good question. I’ll onpass to the editor at the Dallas Voice which broke and is following the story. Thanks much!

minecraft premium accounts June 15, 2013 at 11:08 PM

If you want a Premium Minecraft Account check out
this generator. With it you can generate a unique Minecraft
Premium Account which no one else has! You can Download the Free Premium Minecraft Account Generator http://www.
minecraftdownload2013.tk

Asking questions are truly nice thing if you are not understanding anything completely,
but this article offers pleasant understanding even.

how to get minecraft for free July 16, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your sites really nice,
keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later. Many thanks

Sharecash Survey July 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Hi there! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this page to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

minecraft download free full version July 30, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Hello there, You have done an incredible job.

I’ll definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they’ll be benefited from this site.

how to get minecraft for free August 7, 2013 at 5:42 PM

fantastic put up, very informative. I’m wondering why the other specialists of this sector do not understand this. You should continue your writing. I’m confident, you’ve a great readers’ base already!

marketing mix February 11, 2014 at 6:22 AM

It’s amazing to go to see this web page and reading the views of all colleagues
regarding this post, while I am also keen of getting
experience.

how to get a free iphone 5c April 11, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Hello. Merely wished to request an instant issue.
I am piecing together my own, personal blog in addition to wish to know in
which you got the theme? Seemed to be this free?

Or even has been it paid out? I can not appear to find whatever competitive with this place, therefore hopefully you can
well then, i’ll recognize. Cheers. PS, my i’m sorry. English isn’t my initial terminology.